What you told me about local NHS servicesPosted: May 19, 2014
Thank you to everyone who responded to my recent survey on local NHS services. I really appreciate it that you took the time to let me know what you think.
The main conclusions from the survey are:
- 95% of people supported my cross-party campaign to improve hospital services in our area
- Many of you have used the NHS in the last 12 months – in particular GP services – and I’m glad to say that over 90% of you were satisfied with the treatment you received
- Some people had experienced long waiting times and phone lines being engaged when trying to book a GP surgery appointment
- Access to ‘out of hours’ services was seen to be problematic and a number of people expressed frustration with both the new 111 NHS telephone service and the inadequate arrangements for GP cover provided by your surgery
- There was a high level of concern about the increasing privatisation of services. 71% of people were in favour of bringing services that have previously been privatised back into the NHS and only 7% were happy to see more privatisation.
Going forward, I will continue the cross party hospital improvements campaign, and I will take up the issues about GP appointments and out of hours cover with the local clinical commissioning group and ask them to let me know how they will work together with local surgeries to improve access to services.
Funding is always a critical issue of course and I very much support Ed Miliband’s announcement this week that a future Labour government will guarantee that all patients will be able to get a GP appointment within 48 hours. There will be an extra £100 million a year to achieve this massive improvement in standards funded mainly by the savings it will lead to in other health budgets, such as reducing visits to A&E.
Thank you once again for getting in touch. Please do not hesitate to contact me to share your views or ask for help. The easiest way to contact me is to call 01536 264194 or email email@example.com. I also hold regular surgeries in Corby, Irthlingborough, Raunds, Thrapston and Oundle. Please telephone or email me for further details.